The Dark Side of Christmas
A little bit of extra reading and thought can reveal a few of the evils of Christmas. Here are several that top my list:
- The Christian Christmas tradition finds its roots in pagan practice and has at times been misappropriated by Christians to oppress other people, especially those in the Jewish community.
- Christmas is becoming increasingly secular and even a public nativity scene can now be defended in the American courts as a non-religious display because of the intended economic implications of the holiday.
- Christmas is hard on the environment with all the tree-chopping, gift wrapping, extra-large-plastic-and-Styrofoam packaging, lights, and general garbage that is generated by the festivities.
- Christmas accentuates the feeling of loneliness and depression by highlighting the difference between the have and have-nots of society.
- Christmas adds clutter and unnecessary complexity to our lives through all the useless gifts that people give us that then require storage or eventual disposal.
- Christmas is an excuse for gluttonous behaviour in a world that is hungry.
So, why do you celebrate Christmas?